7 Healthy Gluten-Free Snacks for Kids
Grocery shopping with kids can be so frustrating. Junk foods crowd the shelves and unsurprisingly, your kids want them. Instead of repeatedly having to say “No!”, get them excited about shopping for healthy snacks they can have, like the ones featured here.
The first five snacks are easy to make at home, and the last two are pre-packaged. Challenge yourself to keep adding to the list as you introduce your kids to a nutritious variety of delicious gluten-free snacks.
- Sweet Potato French Fries
Sweet potatoes are a classic superfood, loaded with vitamins, minerals, and natural sugars that are slowly released into the bloodstream. Here’s a simple recipe for one of our kid-pleasing gluten-free snacks: Wash, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes into “French fry” strips. Toss the strips generously in organic extra-virgin coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with turmeric and paprika for added flavor and health benefits . Place fries, separated in a single layer, on a cookie sheet in a pre-heated 425-degree oven. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake 10 minutes more. The aroma of roasted sweet potatoes will fill the kitchen as you and your kids impatiently wait to devour them!
- Frozen grapes
Yes, frozen grapes! They are as sweet and delicious as ice cream. Wash and dry them thoroughly; then place them, spaced apart, on a baking sheet. Separate additional layers of grapes with paper towels. Freeze them overnight and enjoy!
- Apple Sauce Banana Nut Treat
Transform applesauce into a tasty dessert snack. Add a sliced banana, chopped walnuts, and a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon. You can also embellish with raisins and other dried fruits. It’s not quite apple pie, but it is a naturally sweet and tasty snack for your kids.
So delicious and versatile as a spread or a dip, hummus is made from chick peas, which are part of the legume family of beans, peas, and lentils. They are known for their high protein and fiber and also contain key vitamins and minerals that will benefit your kids health. Choose classic hummus or sample different flavors like roasted red pepper, pine nuts, or artichoke hummus for different twists:
- Gluten-free Tortilla Wrap – Spread hummus on a whole-wheat tortilla. Add cucumber slices and crumbled Feta cheese. Roll it up and watch your kids devour it.
- Gluten-free Bagel – Spread it on a multigrain or whole-wheat bagel and top with a tomato slice.
- Gluten-free Dip – It’s perfect as a dip for organic gluten-free chips and bite-size vegetables like grape tomatoes, celery, carrots, and bell pepper strips. Hummus makes eating vegetables fun!
- Trail Mix – A classic backpack favorite, trail mix is one of the most popular, healthy travel snacks with or without nuts. It’s easy to create your own mix with different combinations of dried fruits, nuts, and seeds to suit everyone’s taste buds. You can even create a special dessert mix by adding a modest amount of organic dark chocolate pieces. Try this tasty nut-free mix: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries (sweetened in juice), shredded coconut, and free dried berries . Or create an all-organic mix of dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and raisins. The possibilities are endless!
- Greek yogurt – A healthier choice than the regular version, Greek yogurt is processed differently. It is strained repeatedly to remove most of the liquid, whey, lactose, and sugar, giving it a tasty, thicker consistency. With about the same calories as regular yogurt, it delivers twice the protein and half the sugar. Available in kid-favorite flavors and no-mess tubes and pouches. Gluten-free Greek yogurt is one of the most popular healthy travel snacks, too.
- Chomps Natural Beef Snack Sticks – Now there’s a healthy and delicious alternative to those familiar, yet unhealthy, beef jerky brands. Chomps snack sticks are packed with nine grams of protein and made from 100% grass-fed non-GMO New Zealand beef, farm-fresh ingredients, and a safe, natural preservative. Chomps are free of gluten , soy , hormones , antibiotics , dairy, and MSG. Add Chomps to your approved list of healthy gluten-free travel snacks.
Order Chomps natural beef snack sticks online in three juicy flavors—Original, Crankin’ Cran, and Jalapeno. Chomps is Whole30 approved and paleo-diet friendly. Enjoy your protein boost the healthy and tasty way!