So you're giving the Fast Metabolism Diet a shot? Awesome!
Diets are about consistency, and the Fast Metabolism Diet is no different. That consistency tends to waver when we have trouble knowing what to eat or when making something that fits the diet is too much energy/trouble to make. It's those nights when you're tired after a long day of work and don't want to cook anything — those are when diets fail!
So how can we stop that moment?
By equipping ourselves with a great list of what's and when's. When you combine a comprehensive list of food options that are clearly defined with snacks you know fit the bill, you have the best chance of success.
In other words, you need a fast metabolism diet plan, and CHOMPS is here to help.
We're going to give a quick reminder of what basics of the Fast Metabolism diet and then dig into a bunch of food lists, recipes, and menus you can take and make your experience with the Fast Metabolism Diet a success with.
Fast Metabolism Diet Overview
The Fast Metabolism Diet is a diet that focuses on tricking your metabolism into speeding up by eating certain foods at certain times, split into 3 main phases that recur on a weekly basis for 28 days.
Each phase focuses on different types of foods and exercise, and your calorie intake depends on the number of pounds you're aiming to lose.
The typical Fast Metabolism Diet goal and promise is to help people lose around twenty pounds in a month by coupling these timed restrictions with generally healthier foods and consistent exercise.
In other words, all you have to do is eat the foods from the right list during the right phase and couple that with exercise 2-3 days a week, and boom! You should be on your way.
Best practices for success
There's more to the Fast Metabolism diet than just eating the right foods at the right time, and Healthline does a nice job of summing up what else you should be thinking about:
- Eat five times per day.
- Eat every 3–4 hours except when sleeping.
- Eat within 30 minutes of waking.
- Follow the phases in order.
- Stock up on a general Fast Metabolism Diet food list before beginning.
- Stick to the foods allowed in each phase.
- Exercise according to the phase you’re in.
- Drink half of your body weight (measured in pounds) in ounces of water each day.
- Avoid wheat, corn, soy, dairy, dried fruit, fruit juices, refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol, and fat-free diet foods.
- Eat organic whenever possible.
- Ensure that meats are nitrate-free.
- Follow the plan for the full 28 days and repeat until your weight loss goal is achieved.
- Repeat the fast metabolism plan for a full 28 days every six months or for one week every month.
Okay! On to the lists!
Phase 1 (Monday–Tuesday)
High-carb, moderate protein, NO fat
This phase is aimed at telling your body it no longer needs to store fat — it is very important to avoid fats during this phase! Just eat these high-glycemic, high-carb foods from this list and you'll nail it.
Phase 1 Food List
- Fruits: pears, pineapples, cantaloupes, oranges, kiwi
- Vegetables: broccoli, tomatoes, winter squash, carrots, celery, cucumber, butternut squash, beans, zucchini, parsnips, beets, bean sprouts, green leaf lettuce, onions, radish, pumpkin, peppers
- Grains / Starches: healthy cereals, fusilli, sprouted grain bread, nut flours, rice milk, tapioca flour, oats, multigrain biscuits, lentils, brown rice, brown rice pasta, black barley, quinoa
- Proteins: tuna, lean fish, beans
Phase 1 Sample Menu
- Breakfast: DIY smoothie (no dairy)
- Snack: Kiwi
- Lunch: Black bean and rice veggie bowl
- Snack: Healthy cereal with dairy-free milk
- Dinner: Grilled tilapia and rice
Phase 1 Recipes
- Cinnamon-Apple Pancakes - For the sweet tooths out there. These pancakes are a wonderful way to kick off your cycle!
- Grilled Stone Fruits With Balsamic And Black Pepper Syrup - I was skeptical of grilling fruits until I went to this incredible restaurant in D.C. called The Izakaya. Believe me, these are so good.
- White Bean Wrap - Wraps are great for phase 1 because you can make a bunch of them and use them to get through the phase if you don't have time to make a bunch of separate meals. This recipe makes whipping them up quick and easy!
- Singapore Noodles - Bust out that wok and try this recipe out. I love wok recipes because they are almost always fast and super tasty. And don't forget to turn that heat up!
- Fava, Spinach, and Quinoa Cakes - These take a bit more time but are a great way to prepare ahead of time for your FMD experience! And who doesn't love quinoa!
Phase 2 (Wednesday–Thursday)
Low-carb, high protein, low-fat
Phase 2 is designed to promote muscle growth and unlock fat stores. High protein, low fat is the name of the game here.
Phase 2 Food List
- Vegetables: mushrooms, onions, peppers, garlic, cucumber, collard greens, rhubarb, watercress, asparagus, french beans, yellow beans, green beans, kale, white beans, bib lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, leek, spinach
- Fruits: lemons, limes, grapefruits
- Proteins: lean beef, turkey jerky, smoked salmon, tuna, oysters, lean ground turkey, turkey bacon, chicken breasts, cod, egg whites
Phase 2 Sample Menu
- Breakfast: Egg white omelet with turkey bacon, spinach, and onions
- Snack: CHOMPS turkey jerky
- Lunch: Wilted kale and veggie bowl
- Snack: Seasoned tuna and cucumbers bites
- Dinner: Roasted lemon chicken and asparagus
Phase 2 Recipes
- Spinach Salad with Citrus-Grilled Pork Loin - This citrus-grilled recipe from the FMD community is sure to get you through Phase 2. Make enough for two dinners and consider it a wrap!
- Halibut with Lemon-fennel Salad - This recipe is a similar option but subs the meat main our for halibut — an underestimated fish in my opinion.
- Grilled Salmon Filets with Lemon and Dill - Sensing a theme? Citrus dishes are great during phase 2! You can also slow roast your salmon at 225 degrees for 35-40 minutes (a la Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat) for a super tender alternative to grilling.
- Fennel and Steak Salad - If you're running off to the office each day then whip up this fennel and steak salad for a tasty, packable option.
Phase 3 (Friday–Sunday)
Medium carb, medium protein, high-fat
Phase 3 is about cranking up your metabolism and burning it all off. This is when you reintroduce fats into your diet and maintain moderate levels of proteins and carbs.
Phase 3 Food List
- Vegetables: eggplant, garlic, peppers, okra, tomatoes, cabbage, mushrooms, olives, cucumbers, artichokes, brussel sprouts, green beans, beets, butternut squash, cauliflower, kale, radish, leek, zucchini, celery, asparagus, spinach, sweet potatoes, onions, lettuce (except iceberg), collard greens
- Fruits: lemon, grapefruit, cranberries, coconut, peaches, cherries, limes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
- Proteins: beef tenderloin, lean ground beef, roast beef, deli meat, turkey bacon, sausages, chicken breast, turkey, lamb chops, sirloin steak, shrimp, salmon, crab, lobster, oysters, tuna, eggs, nuts, legumes, beans, chickpeas
- Fats & Oils: almond butter, peanut butter, almond milk, walnuts, pine nuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, avocados, hummus, olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, rice bran oil
Phase 3 Sample Menu
- Breakfast: Steak and eggs
- Snack: Blackberries
- Lunch: Chicken fajitas
- Snack: Carrots and hummus
- Dinner: Beef tenderloin stir fry
Phase 3 Recipes
- Crab and Avocado Salad - I know. It sounds decadent. And it is, but you'll be in Phase 3 at this point! It's time to reintroduce all those sweet, sweet fats!
- Sushi Bowl - This sushi bowl is on the other end of the spectrum — offering a lighter approach to those Phase 3 foods. Tuna steaks aren't cheap though.
- Portobello Bison Burgers - If you haven't had bison, why not experiment? It's got a unique taste that goes great with mushrooms. You could also make extra patties and couple them with veggies for easy leftover meals.
- Eggs Benedict - I'm a sucker for Sunday brunch, and this eggs benedict satisfies those cravings in all the best ways. Make it happen before you go back to Phase 1!
- Italian Tuna Salad - Tuna salad doesn't always have to be loaded down with mayo — this Italian spin uses olive oil as a fat source and is great to eat alongside some celery.
- Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Thighs - I think the name of this dish alone is all that needs to be said. How GOOD does that sound?
- Curry Spiced Scrambled Eggs - Breakfast doesn't have to be bland. Check out these curry-spiced scrambled eggs from the FMD community to add some Indian flair to your morning.
The Never Eat or Drink List
Sometimes looking at what you can't eat helps you frame the diet in your mind.
Here's what’s off the list on the Fast Metabolism Diet:
- Dried fruit or fruit concentrate
- Fruit juices
- Refined sugar
- Artificial sweeteners
* If you’re a vegetarian, eating tofu, tempeh, and edamame is allowed, so long as they are organic and non-GMO.
Why Fast Metabolism Dieters Love Chomps
CHOMPS are great for the Fast Metabolism Diet and can be eaten (in moderation) in all 3 phases.
We've taken health to heart and built the ideal snack: It's the right size. It has the perfect amount of protein. There's no MSG. There’s no refined or added sugar. All of our beef sources are grass-fed—essentially all of the ideal proportions and ingredients you could ever want, packed into an energy-boosting, stomach-satiating beef stick of perfection.
And, we mean what we say:
- No GMOs
- No added sugar
- No gluten
- No soy
- No hormones
- No antibiotics
- No dairy
- No msg
- 100% grass-fed & finished
- Farm-fresh ingredients
- Tender, juicy, and flavorful
- 9 grams of protein
- 100 calories
That means no fillers. No binders. No bad farming practices. No anything else. By focusing on the basics, we cook up the best beef jerky made from the most humane sources so you can snack without feeling guilty.
Now you can stop searching for the perfect Fast Metabolism Diet snack and start reaching your goals with CHOMPS!