Artificial preservatives are used to prolong the shelf life of processed foods and prevent them from becoming rancid.
That may seem like a smart idea—if prolonging shelf life was all they did.
Unfortunately, decades of research have shown that artificial preservatives in foods are linked to serious health problems like cancer, heart disease, allergies, asthma, serious brain disorders, and symptoms of ADHD (Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder) in children.
The problems are compounded by the fact that an estimated 90% of the foods Americans eat are processed foods, not healthier whole foods.
The Dangers of 5 Common Artificial Preservatives
You'll find these artificial, chemical preservatives in the majority of the processed foods you eat:
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) and BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) – You'll find BHA and BHT in foods you routinely feed your family like breakfast cereals, meats, butter, baked goods, and chips. Both preservatives affect the neurological system of the brain, alter behavior, and have raised cancer risks in animal tests. Although they are "generally recognized as safe" by the U.S. Federal Drug Administration, BHA and BHT are considered dangerous and are banned in many other countries including Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and throughout Europe.
- Sodium Benzoate – This preservative is found in many diets and sugary soft drinks, fruit juices, salsa, pickles, salad dressings, and dips. Research has shown that sodium benzoate affects behavior and has been found to cause children to become more hyperactive and distractible.
- Sodium Nitrite – Used as a preservative and a curing agent, this type of salt is used in meats such as jerky, bacon, and deli meats. Sodium nitrite in foods is linked to higher rates of colorectal, stomach, and pancreatic cancers.
- Sodium Nitrate – Also used as a preservative and curing agent, sodium nitrate is commonly added to the jerky, bacon, and deli meats. Consumption of foods with sodium nitrate can increase the risk of developing heart disease by damaging blood vessels.
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – MSG is present in countless processed foods, not just foods at Chinese restaurants. It is in a class of substances known as "excitotoxins", which means that MSG over-excites your cells so much that the cells become damaged or die. This leads to serious brain dysfunction and has the potential of triggering or worsening learning disabilities as well as life-threatening diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases and more.
The Health Benefits of Preservative-Free Foods
When you eliminate preservatives, you simultaneously eliminate the wide array of complications and health risks that come with them.
Even though our fast-paced lives make it difficult for us to avoid choosing convenient processed foods, we recommend that you always check the label for dangerous artificial preservatives.
Don't put your health at risk for the sake of convenience.
Convenient snack foods, for example, can be both healthy and nutritious when you choose snacks like Chomps—a juicy and delicious alternative to those familiar, unhealthy beef jerky brands.
- Packed with 9 grams of protein
- Made from 100% grass-fed non-GMO New Zealand Angus beef and farm-fresh ingredients
- Uses organic celery juice as a safe, natural preservative to keep them safe to eat
- Certified gluten-free, soy-free, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, dairy-free, and MSG-free
- Whole30 approved and paleo diet-friendly
Order Chomps online and enjoy your protein boost the healthy, tasty way!