My favorite easy tomato sauce with ingredients we all have in our pantries! Using Chomps jerky sticks makes this a simple weeknight meal even if you skipped the supermarket this week.
Bolognese is a regular occurrence in my household. It is such a simple way to pack in a protein filled dinner that the whole family will enjoy. However, we all have those weeks where we haven’t gone to the store and don’t have any ground beef at our disposal. That dilemma inspired this simple, pantry pull recipe.
Chomps jerky sticks are always a staple in my kitchen. They are a keto product that keeps the environment in mind, made from animals that are all humanely raised without any hormones or antibiotics. Plus - they are shelf stable which means they are a go-to protein that I don’t need to plan ahead for!
This recipe is low-carb and keto approved. The jerky provides a great punch of protein, the onion and mushrooms provide antioxidants from veggies on very few carbs and a good amount of fiber, and the olive oil and walnuts are a nice dose of healthy fats. I like to serve it with zucchini noodles, as shown here, but it is also great with spaghetti squash or whatever pasta your family loves.
The Chomps jerky provides such a good flavor to the sauce, that really no extra fluff or seasoning is needed. This is a really flexible recipe and I encourage you to switch things up as you need! Carrots could easily sub the mushrooms if you don’t have any at home.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ medium sized onion, chopped
- ~8 button mushrooms, chopped
- 6 Chomps turkey sticks (I used 4 regular flavor and 2 pepperoni for added flavor)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, chopped small (can skip for nut-free)
- Parmesan cheese for topping (can skip for dairy-free)
Note: try to chop the jerky, mushrooms and onion equally into small cubes. For the jerky, I slice the strips into quarters and chop from there.
- Start by putting 1 tbsp olive in a pan on medium heat. Add in the onions and cook until translucent. Once the onions are cooked down, add in the mushrooms and Chomps jerky. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and the full can of tomato sauce. Mix well and put a lid on. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for ~10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While the sauce simmers, you can get started on the zucchini noodles. Add the zucchini spirals to a separate pan with the remaining tbsp of olive oil. Cook on medium heat until tender (should take approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Once the sauce is done simmering, turn off the heat and add in the walnuts.
- Plate a large helping of zucchini in a bowl and top it with the jerky bolognese. Sprinkle it with a bit of parmesan and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 338 calories, 18g fat, 23g carbs, 27g protein
Shop online at Chomps to make your own jerky bolognese as well. You can always switch up the flavors here depending on your preferences. The Jalapeno Beef adds a nice kick and the Cranberry Habanero sticks are an added layer of sweet heat.